Mervyn D. Abramowitz
Location: Downtown Office
- Ontario, 1988
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B. (1986)
Mervyn is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Civil Litigation and appears regularly before all levels of the trial and appellate courts of Ontario. He has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation (including disputes involving contracts, real estate, negligence, and fiduciary obligations, corporate, partnership and shareholder disputes). He is also recognized for his expertise and experience in commercial bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring matters, and his practice also includes employment and construction litigation.
Mervyn is regularly consulted and retained by clients and other law firms in Toronto, across Canada and the United States for his expertise and insights in commercial litigation and insolvency matters.
He is firm believer in "giving back" to the profession and is active in several professional organizations. He is currently the Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association's National Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring section executive, the immediate past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association's Civil Litigation section executive, and a Program Co-ordinator of the Ontario Bar Association's Insolvency section executive. He is also a member of the Commercial List Users' Committee, where members of the judiciary and senior members of the Bar work to improve matters for those whose practice involves the specialized Commercial List court in Toronto.
Mervyn is also a regular program participant and speaker on various topics related to his areas of practice, and was an instructor for many years at the Ontario Bar Admission Course (Civil Litigation and Insolvency sections).
Recent Notable Matters
• Successful trial counsel representing a national manufacturer of refrigeration equipment in an action against a transportation company involving the theft truckloads of stolen products in Mexico
• Counsel to a condominium developer in an action involving another condominium developer over an aborted agreement of purchase and sale
• Counsel to a film production company in a professional negligence action against its lawyers in respect of certain disputed film production rights
• Representative counsel appointed by the court to act for a large group of individuals in a large, commercial mortgage enforcement action involving the determination of their rights as life-lease holders
• Counsel to a large, Quebec-based, financial institution seeking to enforce its rights against various commercial entities in Ontario
• Counsel to several companies based in Ontario and Quebec involving numerous construction lien actions
• Consultant to a law firm in Beijing, China with respect to interim preservation of property remedies in Ontario
• Counsel to an Ontario corporation in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder dispute with an Israeli corporation
• Counsel to a U.S.-based Tier 1 automobile parts supplier in a dispute involving parts suppliers withholding tools and parts destined for several OEM's
• Counsel to a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a breach of contract action with international scope involving the construction of custom equipment and several large foreign entities in Germany, Switzerland and the United States
Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring
• Counsel to a U.S. based investment bank in the Target Canada CCAA proceedings involved in the purchase of creditor claims
• Counsel to a Korean-based supplier / creditor in the Target Canada CCAA proceedings
• Counsel to an international shipper in respect of a disputed matter in the XS Cargo proceedings
• Counsel to a trustee in bankruptcy seeking payment from a purchaser of assets for failure to comply with the Bulk Sales Act
• Counsel to the court-appointed Monitor in the CCAA restructurings of Cotton Ginny, SAAN Stores, Steelback Breweries and D'Angelo Brands
• Counsel to the secured creditor who sought and obtained an order under the CCAA in respect of NexInnovations Inc.
• Counsel to creditors, nationally and internationally, in the CCAA restructurings of Target Canada, Vallefoam, Canwest, Angiotech, Huffy Bicycles, and Fantom Technologies
• Counsel to various secured and unsecured creditors in several court-appointed receiverships and bankruptcies in the high-tech and biotech spheres, including Botaneco, Seven Group Data Management Group, Sprint Network, Gloplug, RAM Computer, Questech, Genicom, The Baxter Group and others
•Counsel to several trustees and receivers dealing with various Ponzi schemes and other fraudulent transactions
• October 2015 - The ABC's of the Commercial List
• February 2015 - Recent Cases and Current Developments in Insolvency Law
• June 2014 - Insolvency Proceedings - Which to Choose and How to Use Them
• January 2014 - A Re-Examination of the Lawyer's Responsibility to the Profession and a Look Ahead to the Model Rules
• February 2013 - Vesting Orders In and Outside of an Insolvency
• October 2011 - Insolvent Landlords: Concerns of a Commercial Tenant
- Ontario/Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Turnaround Management Association