Licensed Paralegal – Creditors’ Rights Law – Full-time position
Kronis, Rotsztain, Margles, Cappel LLP (KRMC) is a diverse, mid-sized Toronto law firm offering services to businesses and individuals in a broad range of practice areas. Acting for a number of well-known clients including financial institutions, leasing companies, multinational corporations, and owner-operated businesses, KRMC is a collaborative firm which offers a collegial work environment. KRMC is located in the thriving, uptown business district of Toronto, and has convenient, direct access to the Yonge-Sheppard subway station.
We are currently seeking a hardworking and detail-oriented Licensed Paralegal to join our talented team of legal professionals in the Small Claims Court department of our Creditors’ Rights practice group. This practice group is focused on the recovery of outstanding debt on behalf of financial institutions and experience in this area of law is a definite asset.
- Reviewing matters, drafting pleadings, motions and correspondence
- Reviewing files to determine whether legal action is necessary
- Handling defended actions
- Preparing lists of proposed witnesses and document briefs
- Attending settlement conferences, terms of payment hearings, motions and trials
- Conducting judgement debtor examinations and attending contempt hearings
- Reporting to clients and providing opinion with respect to issues
- Conducting legal research
- Other related duties as required and assigned
- Licensed Paralegal (P1) and member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- 1 to 3 years of experience attending Small Claims Court and a strong understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure and the Rules of Small Claims Court
- 1 to 3 years of experience in Creditors’ Rights law preferred
- File management experience required along with experience working on bank files
- Ability to review and apply relevant legislation
- Valid driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle to use for attendance at court within the GTA and occasionally for travel up to 2 hours from Toronto for court hearings
- Exceptional computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office, PC Law, ACL)
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Personable, approachable and a strong team player
- The ability to prioritize tasks and work effectively under pressure in a high-volume environment, while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines
- Strong work ethic
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
A satisfactory criminal records check will be required from the selected candidate as a condition of employment.
This role offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package effective after three months of employment and the opportunity to work in a pleasant environment with a great team. This position is to commence as soon as possible after the selected candidate has been hired.
If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, please forward your cover letter, resume and unofficial school transcript, in confidence, to [email protected] Please indicate the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line along with your paralegal license number. For more information about our firm, please visit our website at www.krmc-law.com.
We thank all applicants, however, only those with the above stated qualifications who are selected for a telephone interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
KRMC encourages applications from diverse, qualified candidates and is committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Requests for accommodation during the recruitment process may be made by contacting Human Resources at 416-225-8750.